Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)

On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 10:54 +0000, George Dunlap wrote:
> On 03/12/2015 10:21 AM, wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > *  Credit2: introduce per-vcpu hard and soft affinity (fair)
> >   -  Justin T. Weaver
>
> The most recent patches looked pretty good -- I'd be very surprised if
> these didn't make it in by July.  I'd change this to "good".

+1

> > *  Default to credit2 (none)
> >    cpu pinning, numa affinity and cpu reservation
> >   -  George Dunlap
>
> I think before actually doing a release with credit2 as the default, we
> want almost an entire development cycle with credit2 as the default, to
> shake out any latent bugs;

Indeed. We also want to discuss and define some criteria/requirement for
a scheduler to fulfill in order to be considered as the new default one.

We can work on this as well, during this dev cycle, and have it ready
for next time, if we want to try doing the switch.

> and probably an entire release with credit2
> listed as "production-ready".

I agree. We want to make it no longer experimental, and that is probably
doable within this dev cycle.

> So maybe this goal would be more helpfully stated as "credit2 production
> ready", so that when we open the next development window we can change
> the default immediately?

+1

Regards,
Dario