Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.6 Development Update (two months reminder)

>On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 15:07 +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
>> On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 10:21 +0000, wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
> > *  Repurpose SEDF Scheduler for Real-time (fair)
>> >    RFC patch posted (v2)
>> >   -  Joshua Whitehead, Robert VanVossen
>>
>> This was superceded by the RTDS stuff, wasn't it?
>>
>I haven't head from Joshua and Robert in a while, so I don't really know
>whether they're still working on this, but I think they're not.
>
>And yes, we have a new and modern real-time scheduling now, so I would rather
>direct all the effort toward it (to move it out from 'experimental' status),
>>and start thinking at ways to deprecate/get rid of SEDF.
>
>Regards,
>Dario

I apologize for our lack of communication and not keeping the list up to date
on this.

This did get pushed to the back burner for a while as other responsibilities
came along and we were also waiting to see what the RT-Xen folks were able to
come up with as it looked quite promising.  However we (Robbie and I) have been
discussing the last week or so here how we'd like to proceed on this.

At one point it had been put forward that we would submit our own complete
scheduler and then look at "combining" the two (ours and rt-xen's) into one
coherent scheduler, but we're not longer sure that's the best route forward.
We did have a couple ideas that may be more easily implemented starting from
the SEDF code, but we're still investigating some of that.  We still have to
discuss it with our managers, so I don't want to commit to anything just yet,
but I think Robbie and I are leaning toward contributing bug fixes and
improvements to sched_rt to move it out of experimental/tech preview status as
well as contributing one or more new deadline algorithms (CBS being the obvious
first choice if that's still desired by the community).

We've had some new projects in the Xen arena begin here at DornerWorks
(supporting Xen on the new Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC being the big one) and
we hope to making contributions in several areas to the project in the next few
months.  I will push the discussion of this topic in particular today and try
to get back to everyone on this scheduler topic by the end of today or tomorrow.

Thanks for your time and again I apologize for the lack of communication on
this topic.

- Joshua