Re: [Xen-devel] Any work on sharing of large multi-page segments?

On 3/17/15, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And how would that be significantly different from the batching
> that's already built into the grant table hypercall?

I guess it does do more or less what I want already. I was looking
more at the inner mapping/unmapping functions, rather than the
wrappers around them that implement the actual hypercalls.

What would be a useful addition would be support for granting 2M
pages. That would eliminate any problem with running out of grant
table slots.

On 3/17/15, George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Any deduplication code would run in as a process probably in domain 0,
> and may be somewhat slow; but the actual mechanism of sharing is a
> generic mechanism in the hypervisor which any client can use.  Jan is
> suggesting that you might be able to use that interface to
> pro-actively tell Xen about the memory pages shared between your
> various domains.

I wasn't quite sure if it's generic enough to use to implement shared
segments, or if it were specific to deduplication at the hypervisor
level.