Re: [Xen-devel] Upstream QEMU based stubdom and rump kernel

On Wed, 2015-03-18 at 12:24 +0100, Martin Lucina wrote:
> ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx said:
> > On Tue, 2015-03-17 at 15:27 +0000, Wei Liu wrote:
> > > This looks most interesting as it implies we can easily pipe a console
> > > to it.
> >
> > BTW, rather than rawe consoles we should probably consider using the
> > channel extension: http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/misc/channel.txt
>
> What would be the advantage/rationale for using channels rather than vchan?
> (See my other reply to this thread)

Not much really.

About the only relevant difference between vchan and channels(/consoles)
is that there is an existing backend running on most xen systems
(xenconsoled) which can be leveraged in some cases for channels, whereas
vchan would need a specific backend writing for each case.

Apart from that implementation convenience vchan is probably going to be
better in terms of proper integration for the other end.

But iff the decision goes the way of consoles then using channels in
preference to raw consoles makes sense.

Ian.