Re: [Xen-devel] Migration v2 and related work for 4.6

On 02/04/15 10:03, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-04-01 at 12:03 +0100, Andrew Cooper wrote:
>> I propose that the libxc series be accepted independently of the libxl
>> series.
> That is most likely a good idea IMHO.
>
> What do you estimate the chances of the libxl bit being done for 4.6 to
> be?

I hope to have everything complete for 4.6, including removal of the
legacy code.

Given the current timescales, I would say most likely.

> Is there an option of actually switching to the new libxc without
> switching libxl and fixing libxl later, or would that be as much work as
> just fixing libxl?

For PV guests, yes.  One can transparently swap the legacy algorithm
from the v2 algorithm and every works.

For HVM guests, no.  The handling of the Qemu save record and toolstack
records needs fixing.

In the upgrade case, libxl also needs to take care of piping the legacy
stream through the conversion script.

~Andrew