Re: [Xen-devel] "tcp: refine TSO autosizing" causes performance regression on Xen

On Thu, 9 Apr 2015, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-04-09 at 16:46 +0100, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I found a performance regression when running netperf -t TCP_MAERTS from
> > an external host to a Xen VM on ARM64: v3.19 and v4.0-rc4 running in the
> > virtual machine are 30% slower than v3.18.
> >
> > Through bisection I found that the perf regression is caused by the
> > prensence of the following commit in the guest kernel:
> >

> > commit 605ad7f184b60cfaacbc038aa6c55ee68dee3c89
> > Author: Eric Dumazet <edumazet@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > Date:   Sun Dec 7 12:22:18 2014 -0800
> >
> >     tcp: refine TSO autosizing
> >

> > A simple revert would fix the issue.
> >
> > Does anybody have any ideas on what could be the cause of the problem?
> > Suggestions on what to do to fix it?
>
> You sent this to lkml while networking discussions are on netdev.
>
> This topic had been discussed on netdev multiple times.

Sorry, and many thanks for the quick reply!

> This commit restored original TCP Small Queue behavior, which is the
> first step to fight bufferbloat.
>
> Some network drivers are known to be problematic because of a delayed TX
> completion.
>
> So far this commit did not impact max single flow throughput on 40Gb
> mlx4 NIC. (ie : line rate is possible)
>
> Try to tweak /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_limit_output_bytes to see if it
> makes a difference ?

A very big difference:

echo 262144 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_limit_output_bytes
brings us much closer to the original performance, the slowdown is just
8%

echo 1048576 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_limit_output_bytes
fills the gap entirely, same performance as before "refine TSO
autosizing"

What would be the next step for here?  Should I just document this as an
important performance tweaking step for Xen, or is there something else
we can do?