Re: [Xen-devel] PMU in xen enviroment

On 04/13/2015 12:21 AM, èéä(èå) wrote:

>   Hiïeveryone
>

>   We would like to obtain the distribution of CPU-specific hardware events
> such as clock cycles and cache and TLB misses and branch-miss and etc. in Xen
> environment . It is said that Xenoprof can be used to do so. We use Intel's
> Ivy Bridge Processor which is released in 2012, so I think it is better to
> use oprofile 0.9.8 or above. But http://xenoprof.sourceforge.net/ only
> released oprofile-0.9.5-xen.patch which is released in 2009. Does it mean no
> patch is needed since OProfile 0.9.6 ? is there a detailed document
> describing how to use oprofile in xen environment ? is there any other tools
> to do so ?
>

>   Thanks a lot.

Hi,

There is a version of oprofile-0.9.9 for recent versions of fedora that include
the xen patch:

That might be a reasonable starting point.  However I don't think that the
patch has been tested as most people are using KVM based virtualization on
fedora.

IIRC is it somewhat complex to get everything setup and running for xenoprof
because both host and guest need to be setup to do the monitoring:

http://www-archive.xenproject.org/files/summit_3/xenoprof_tutorial.pdf

-Will