Re: [Xen-devel] FreeBSD Dom0 IOMMU issues

>>> On 07.05.15 at 21:39, <editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 5/7/15 4:43 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> The guest-start-without-X-in-Dom0 aspect would be of particular
>> interest - can you confirm that part too? And just to confirm -
>> according to the config file you do not pass through any device to
>> the DomU (which implies no IOMMU page tables being set up for
>> it at all)?
>
> I have sent the without-X output and correct, I am not passing any
> devices through. As I understand it however, the HVM Dom0 has all
> devices passed through it using the IOMMU. I could be mistaken.
>
> I am attaching the output from a quad-core i5 Intel board system that is
> also of the Sandy Bridge generation. (I am very fond of Sandy Bridge and
> the ThinkPads that include it).
>
> The first VM boot resulted in a DomU panic and the remaining ones in a
> freeze (no panic message) but with many IOMMU errors that may be of
> interest to you.

They all look similar to what you had posted before, hence not much
new to be learned from them. In any event, Tiejun's hint towards the
i915 driver (or, extending that, the graphics handling in the kernel in
general) being a possible source of problems here is certainly worth
verifying. That could be done by running Linux as Dom0 and FreeBSD
only as DomU.

The DomU panic clearly needs a FreeBSD person looking at.

Going forward, could I ask you to try to separate logs a little, so
looking at them becomes more manageable? At the very least
please don't fold together DomU kernel logs with any host ones
(hypervisor, Dom0). Separating tools output (like that of pciconf)
would also be helpful, as would separating the output of multiple
sessions.

Jan