Re: [Xen-devel] ACPI shutdown unreliable with win7?

On Fri, 2015-05-22 at 09:59 +0100, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 22/05/15 09:54, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > In osstest self gate flight 56412 a change to make HVM guests
> > configurably use "xl shutdown -F" (-F == use ACPI fallback if PV drivers
> > absent) and apply the option to the win7 and winxpsp3 tests went into
> > production.
> >
> > On winxpsp3 this appears to have been a success and things are working
> > pretty well since that flight:
> > http://logs.test-lab.xenproject.org/osstest/results/history.test-amd64-i386-xl-qemuu-winxpsp3.html
> > http://logs.test-lab.xenproject.org/osstest/results/history.test-amd64-i386-xl-qemuu-winxpsp3-vcpus1.html
> > http://logs.test-lab.xenproject.org/osstest/results/history.test-amd64-amd64-xl-qemut-winxpsp3.html
> > http://logs.test-lab.xenproject.org/osstest/results/history.test-amd64-i386-xl-qemut-winxpsp3.html
> > http://logs.test-lab.xenproject.org/osstest/results/history.test-amd64-i386-xl-qemut-winxpsp3-vcpus1.html
> >
> > However win7 seems to be in somewhat poorer shape:
> >
> > http://logs.test-lab.xenproject.org/osstest/results/history.test-amd64-amd64-xl-qemuu-win7-amd64.html
> > http://logs.test-lab.xenproject.org/osstest/results/history.test-amd64-i386-xl-qemuu-win7-amd64.html
> > http://logs.test-lab.xenproject.org/osstest/results/history.test-amd64-amd64-xl-qemut-win7-amd64.html
> > http://logs.test-lab.xenproject.org/osstest/results/history.test-amd64-i386-xl-qemut-win7-amd64.html
> >
> > it passes less than one time in 10 (of the ones which don't get blocked
> > earlier on).
> >
> > The problem seems to be independent of the qemu version and with qemuu
> > of seabios vs rombios. dom0 kernel also seems irrelevant.
>
> This is because there is no such thing as ACPI shutdown.
>
> There is ACPI "Someone pressed the power button" and ACPI "Someone
> closed the laptop lid".

Understood, however this did work in my manual testing and does
occasionally pass.

e.g. in
http://logs.test-lab.xenproject.org/osstest/logs/56759/test-amd64-amd64-xl-qemut-win7-amd64/info.html
 which was successful the qemu log shows:
        shutdown requested in cpu_handle_ioreq
        Issued domain 18 poweroff
        Log-dirty: no command yet.

In the failure cases there is no indication in the logs or screenshots
that windows is either hibernating or shutting down, or doing anything
else at all.

> I believe Win7 attempts to sleep by default, rather than to shut down,
> although IIRC this does depend on which S states are offered in the ACPI
> tables.

osstest ought to be providing the exact same thing each time, so unless
there is some non-determinism in win7's logic (I would hope not) I think
it ought to be making the same choice each time.

>   One thing to try would be to boot windows without any S3 or S4
> SSDT tables, which should persuade windows into believing that "someone
> pressed the power button" should mean S5 shutdown.

If win7 doesn't shutdown given a power button request I'd be more
inclined to remove the setting in osstest for those flights and let
guest-stop go back to being never pass than to start making such changes
to the VM config which I think would probably break the preceding
suspend and migration tests (which aren't completely reliable, but are
far more so than this shutdown one).

Ian.