Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: making the PVH 64bit ABI as stableo

On Tue, 2015-06-02 at 13:12 -0400, Boris Ostrovsky wrote:

> >> This your guess; I don't think there's any guarantee.
> >
> > Let's make it a guarantee.
> >

> >> The more that talk was about making PVH uniformly enter the kernel in
> >> 32-bit mode.
> >
> > What talk? IRL talks are irrelevant in this context. If it is not on the
> > list, it doesn't exist.

> >> Understandable, but no, not before all the fixmes in the tree got
> >> dealt with.
> >
> > What is your timeline for that? In fact does anybody have any timelines
> > for it?
> >
> > We need to have a clear idea of what exactly needs to happen. We also
> > need to have confidence that is going to happen in a reasonable time
> > frame. At the moment we have some various mumblings about things, but we
> > don't have a clear breakdown of the outstanding work and names
> > associated with each work item.
> >
> > Is anybody going to volunteer writing that todo list?
> >
> > Are we going to be able to find enough volunteers with the right skills
> > to be confident that PVH is going to be out of "experimental" within a
> > reasonable time frame? It is clear that some of the clean-ups require an
> > hypervisor expert.
> >
> > If not, I suggest we rethink our priorities and we consider dropping PVH
> > entirely. I don't think is fair to expect Roger or anybody else to keep
> > their efforts up on PVH, when actually we don't know if we'll be able to
> > land it.
>

> Roger, Tim, Elena, Konrad and I had a conversation a few months ago and
> at that time we came up with a (somewhat informal) list of what we knew
> was broken:
>
>    - 32-bit cannot boot.
>    - Does not work under AMD.
>    - Migration
>    - PCI passthrough
>    - Memory ballooning
>    - Multiple VBDs, NICs, etc.
>    - CPUID filtering. There are no filtering done at all which means
> that certain cpuid flags are exposed to the guest.
>    - The x2apic will cause a crash if the NMI handler is invoked.
>    - The APERF will cause inferior scheduling decisions.
>    - working with shadow code (which is what we use when migrating HVM
> guests). But the nice side-benefit is that we can then run PVH on
> machines without VMX or SVM support.
>    - TSC modes are broken.

This is missing at least:

        - Remove all /* pvh fixme */ from the code

What I'm hearing from the x86 maintainers is that this is actually a
high priority and not a "nice to have cleanup".

> I picked 32-bit support, Elena is looking into AMD

With the TODOs + these 2 being the things which the x86 maintainers have
highlighted in this thread as being most critical for marking the ABI as
stable (or at least moving experimental->tech preview) let me ask
explicotly:

        What are the current time frames on these two items?

Ian.