Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC 05/22] xen/arm: gic-v3: Rework the print message at initialization

On 05/06/15 13:18, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-05-08 at 14:29 +0100, Julien Grall wrote:
>
> Subject: "messages printed"
>
>>     - Print all the redistributor regions rather than only the first
>>     one...
>>     - Add # in the format to print 0x for hexadecimal. It's easier to
>>     differentiation from decimal
>
> FWIW # doesn't work if the value is 0 (it still comes out as 0, not
> 0x0). Some people prefer 0x%FOO for that reason (mainly if you are
> trying to line things up).

I remembered some people asking me to # rather than 0x because it saves
one byte.

> You may not care here.

I don't mind to switch to 0x.

>>     - Re-order informations printed
>>     - Drop print of the virtual address. It's not useful
>
> The virtual address may appear in BUG info and stack traces etc, e.g. in
> the fault addresses as well as in registers, where it may be useful to
> know that an address corresponds (or is supposed to) the GIC.

Access to those regions are done via read*/write macro and via the PC
you can get easily the offending register.

With the virtual address of the GIC region, you would have to find the
base address and know the size. It would take more time to find the real
problem.

Furthermore, it's more difficult to read the info message for the
re-distributor.

Regards,

--
Julien Grall