Re: [Xen-devel] [edk2] Question about PEX boot on Xen with OVMF as bios

Hi

Please CC me and Anthony (CC'ed) in the future if you have questions
regarding OVMF on Xen.

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 12:02:22PM +0200, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> On 05/25/15 03:50, lidonglin wrote:
> > Hi all:
>
> > Recentlly, I want to use PXE boot on Xen with OVMF as bios. At
> > beginning, I just add rtl8139 as guest nic device, and I compile a
> > release ovmf. When I enter into uefi, I can't find network boot menu.
> > According to edk2/OvmfPkg/README file, I know there is a virtio-net
> > driver build into ovmf. So I replace rtl8139 with virtio-net. When I
> > enter into uefi boot menu again. I see the network boot entry, I'm
> > very happy. But after I choose network boot entry, uefi can't display
> > pxe boot process, only black sceen with one while dot at the
> > beginning of the screen. I try e1000 according to edk2/OvmfPkg/README
> > file, and I get the same result. Except e1000 and virtio-net, I can't
> > see the network boot entry if I use any other nics. Who can tell me
> > how to use pxe boot on Xen with ovmf. Thanks.
>
> (1) The dots that you mention are progress info from the higher level
> edk2 network / PXE stack. I can't recall the details without looking at
> the code, but if you see at least one dot, that's a sign that PXE boot
> is being attempted.
>
> (2) The only SNP (Simple Network Protocol) driver that OVMF contains,
> when built purely from the upstream repo, is for the virtio-net device
> of QEMU.
>
> I doubt that you can use virtio devices on a Xen host.

That's correct. Xen HVM doesn't enable virtio device.

> (3) Spelling out a special case of (2) -- there's no xen-netfront driver
> in OVMF.

This is also correct. IIRC there is only Xen PV disk driver in OVMF.
I think the infrastructure needed to port netfront driver is already
there. Just that the driver is not yet there.

Anthony, am I right?

> (4) One possibility I can see for what you want to do is:
> - Configure the e1000 device model for your guest
> - Build OVMF as described in OvmfPkg/README, near "E1000_ENABLE".
>   This requires downloading a proprietary, non-redistributable driver
>   binary from Intel.

You also need to specify model=e1000 in your guest configuration file.
The default model is 8139.

Wei.