[Xen-devel] debian-installer hooks between early_command and late_command

After talking to Ian C about how to organise microcode updates in
osstest, I asked Colin Watson:

13:20 <Diziet> col: DYK if there's a d-i hook command a la late_command but
               which runs after / is mounted but before lots of stuff is
               installed ?
13:20 <Diziet> (We need this in squeeze.)
13:20 <Diziet> wheezy I mean
13:22 <col> Diziet: Before or after the base system is installed?
13:23 <Diziet> col: Well, in our case, we want it to happen before
               update-initramfs, but we don't care about whether there's a base
               system.
13:23 <Diziet> We can mkdir what we need to exist.
13:25 <col> Diziet: Write a preseed/early_command that itself writes out (and
            chmod +x-es) a script in /usr/lib/base-installer.d/
13:25 <Diziet> In /target ?
13:25 <col> No, in /
13:25 <col> It should operate on /target if it needs to
13:25 <Diziet> Right.
13:25 <Diziet> It does.
13:25 <Diziet> Thanks for the tip!
13:25 <col> Diziet: Or /usr/lib/post-base-installer.d/ will do in this case too
            (that runs between debootstrap and the kernel being installed), if
            you decide you want to operate after debootstrap
13:26 <Diziet> Marvellous.
13:26 <Diziet> Can I quote you in public (eg a commit message) on this ?
13:27 <Diziet> (Perhaps, better, I should c&p this into an email to ijc CC
               xen-devel, if you agree.)
13:27 <col> Oh, in fact /usr/lib/base-installer.d/ runs after debootstrap in
            Debian too, just before setting up /dev and apt.
13:27 <col> Diziet: Feel free.
13:27 <Diziet> Thanks.

Ian.