Re: [Xen-devel] Proposal: Feature Maturity Lifecycle

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 4:22 PM, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> following up from
> http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-06/msg01775.html I
> wanted to propose the following convention related to feature classification
> as a proposal for discussion. I tried to pretty much describe what we do now
> and hope my understanding is correct. I did propose a new Complete state, to
> cover for bigger new features which we may not want to mark as supported
> straight away, for various reasons.
>
> I marked areas which with some of my thoughts or references to other
> documents in [Note: ...] brackets
>
> Regards
> Lars
>
> ----
>
>         Feature Maturity Lifecycle
>         ==========================
>
>         Purpose and Scope
>         -----------------
>
> The purpose of this document is to define the possible states a feature.
> *Features* may be one of the following:
> * End user Feature: aka a pice of functionality that is controllable
>   by users of Xen through a command line option exposed via xl or
>   libvirt, a config file or otherwise
> * Support for a Hardware platform: e.g. x86 or ARM
> * Support for a specific Hardware platforms, e.g. Thunder X,
>   Xilinx ZynqMP, etc.
> * A set of APIs, e.g. men-event API, memory sharing APIs, etc.
>
> It is also the intent, that this document is used to set expectations
> of contributors to the Xen Project hypervisor, such that they can take
> appropriate steps to ensure that eventually a feature that they develop
> is a supported by the community.
>
> Further, it will help users of the Xen Project hypervisors understand
> how developers use the feature states. This will help users make informed
> decisions about the risk involved in using a feature.
>
>         Dependencies
>         -------------
>
> This document refers to definitions in other files and project conventions,
> in particular:
>
> 1.      Status of subsystems in the MAINTAINERS file
>         The MAINTAINERS file maps individuals against groups of files
>         in the source tree. In there context of this document, we say that
>         a feature is *maintained*, iff all components of that feature
>         are marked as one of the following
>         Supported:  Someone is actually paid to look after the code.
>         Maintained: Someone actually looks after the code.
>
> 2.      Classification of public APIs and interfaces:
>         APIs and other interfaces are declared stable by agreement
>         on the xen-devel@ mailing list. We consider a feature as
>         *stable*, iff all public APIs and interfaces a feature depends
>         on have been declared stable.
>
> 3.      Testing
>         The Xen Project runs a continuous test and integration system
>         in the project's test lab. We consider a feature *tested*, iff
>         there are test cases that are run in our test lab, that test a
> [...]

So if we accept these definitions, it would would officially make
adding functionality to osstest a requirement for everybody
contributing new functionality.  I think at the moment, that may be
too high a barrier, unless it becomes simple and straightforward to
write, test, and contribute new tests to osstest.  (I think Stefano
was trying to do this a bit with the raisin project, but that's not
complete yet.)

Another practical issue: There are existing large bits of
functionality that are currently considered "supported" that are not
tested as part of our continuous integration testing.  PCI
pass-through is, I think, one major example.  According to this
classification, a lot of our features would have to move back to
"Experimental" until we managed to get things tested and documented.

Do we want to have another category -- perhaps "Legacy-Stable" or
something like that -- to indicate functionality which has been sort
of "grandfathered" in to the "supported" state?  That would allow us
to indicate that this functionality is actually usable, while keeping
us honest and motivating us to move things into new "stable".

 -George