[Xen-devel] stable trees (was: [xen-4.2-testing test] 58584: regressions)

>>> On 16.06.15 at 05:43, <osstest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> flight 58584 xen-4.2-testing real [real]
> http://logs.test-lab.xenproject.org/osstest/logs/58584/
>
> Regressions :-(
>
> Tests which did not succeed and are blocking,
> including tests which could not be run:
>  build-amd64-libvirt           3 host-install(3)         broken REGR. vs.
> 58411
>  test-amd64-amd64-xl-qemuu-win7-amd64 15 guest-localmigrate/x10 fail in 58460
> REGR. vs. 58411

Just made another round through the history of these failures as far
as they're accessible through the mailing list archives. The first
qemuu related occurrences were in flights 50318, 50315, 50285, and
50330 (for 4.2 through 4.5 respectively). In those or time wise close
ones there were also a few other migration failures (i.e. non-qemuu
related). Considering how close these flight numbers are to 50000
(and that there are very few earlier flights' [in the > 50000 range]
results available on the list), it would seem to me as if we "acquired"
these failures with the switch over to the new osstest instance.
Which leaves several options:
- the problem was always there, but hidden by some factor in the
  old osstest instance,
- this is an infrastructure problem in the new osstest instance
  (after all what makes the tests fail is a ping timing out, which can
  have a variety of reasons),
- this is a build or runtime problem due to software differences
  between the old and new instances (no idea whether exact same
  package versions were used at the time of the switchover),
- yet something else I can't think of right now.

One aspect making me indeed consider the build (or less likely
runtime) aspect is that we're seeing the frequent migration failures
in the stable trees only - other than unstable they're all getting built
with debug=n.

While I agree that it wouldn't be nice to release 4.5.1 with these
failures not understood, the current situation (with no-one having
a real idea of what's going on, and apparently also no-one really
trying to debug the issue - it being migration _and_ [apparently]
qemuu specific I don't really feel qualified myself, leaving aside any
time constraints, which certainly also apply to others) will lead to
an indefinite stall on both this tree and the 4.4 one (4.4.3 would
be due in about a month, i.e. normally I would send out a call for
backport requests around now).

Jan