Re: [Xen-devel] PCI Passthrough ARM Design : Draft1

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 01:21:28PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-06-25 at 17:29 +0530, Manish Jaggi wrote:

> > > pciback doesn't (and shouldn't) have sufficient knowledge of the guest
> > > address space layout to determine what the virtual BAR should be. The
> > > toolstack is the right place for that decision to be made.
> > Yes, the point is the pciback driver reads the physical BAR regions on
> > request from domU.
> > So it sends a hypercall to map the physical bars into stage2 translation
> > for the domU through xen.
> > Xen would use the holes left in IPA for MMIO.
>
> I still think it is the toolstack which should do this, that's whewre
> these sorts of layout decisions belong.

At init - sure. But when the guest is running and doing those sort
of things. Unless you want guest -> pciback -> xenstore -> libxl ->
hypercall -> send ack on xenstore -> pciback -> guest.

That would entail adding some pcibkack -> user-space tickle mechanism
and another back. Much simpler to do all of this in xenpciback I think?