Re: [Xen-devel] [v3 12/13] arm: Allow the user to specify the GIC version

On Wed, 2015-07-01 at 15:37 +0100, Julien Grall wrote:
> > AFIACT the default is "offer the guest the hardware's native version".
>
> This is true when the domain is firstly created. But this will be
> confusing if the user decide to migrate the guest to a platform where
> the native GIC is different.
>
> This is a valid use-case, though we don't support migration yet, and the
> guest will expect to get the same virtual GIC (the IRQ controller driver
> can't be changed).

I think an option "native" which is documented to be latching on the
host the guest is started on is absolutely fine, and avoids needing to
faff around turning default into native at the interface and/or parsing
stage.

Upon migration the config should have been updated to reflect whatever
decision Xen made when the guest was first started.

Ian.