Re: [Xen-devel] Help with reading from hvc console device on a PV guest

Hi Wei,
   Thanks for your reply. Sorry I did not change the comment properly.
These are the two methods I tried separately.

First method:
     I see /dev/hvc1 and /dev/hvc2 being created when I give two
channels in the guest xl config file. So I wrote a program to open
hvc1 and read like below.
fd=open("/dev/hvc1", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK)

Second method:
     I also notice the devices are created under
/sys/bus/xen/devices/console-1 and console-2. And the corresponding
devices are in /dev/hvc1 and /dev/hvc2.
 So I manually created devices similar to following udev rules like
below for console 1.

HVC_MAJOR=229

NAME_PATH=device/console/1/name

NAME=$(xenstore-read $NAME_PATH)

mknod /dev/xenconsole/$NAME c $HVC_MAJOR 1

ln -s /dev/xenconsole/$NAME /dev/xenconsole/console-1

NAME in my case is xen.channel.1 Hence I tried to open and read using
fd=open("/dev/xenconsole/xen.channel.1", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK)

But both the attempts failed. And they do not read the contents I sent
from dom0. What I notice from the code review of hvc driver is that
any data that the hvc driver gets from the backend is used ONLY for
terminal consumption and not for file operations?

When I tried to create a console login on the hvc2, and do a socat on
the socket path from dom0, I am able to send commands like ls, pwd
etc. and receive responses fine.

Thanks
-Sainath