Re: [Xen-devel] HVM x86 deprivileged mode: AMD SVM TR problem

At 17:36 +0100 on 19 Aug (1440005801), Ben Catterall wrote:

> On 19/08/15 16:43, Tim Deegan wrote:
> > At 16:04 +0100 on 19 Aug (1440000260), Ben Catterall wrote:
> >> I've hit a blocker on getting this working for AMD's SVM and would
> >> appreciate any thoughts. Hopefully I've missed a much simpler way of
> >> doing this or I've missed something!
> >>
> >> So, AMD and Intel differ in how they handle the TR on a VMEXIT and
> >> VMRUM. On a VMEXIT, Intel Save the guest's TR and then restore the
> >> host's TR. AMD do not save the guest's TR nor do they restore the host's
> >> TR.
> >>
> >> So, we need to context switch it out. The only ways that I know of to do
> >> this are with the ltr and str instructions. Now, ltr will throw #GP if
> >> loaded with a null selector and, when loaded, will immediately fetch
> >> from the current GDT the descriptor's data.
> >>
> >> After issuing a VMEXIT and moving into deprivileged mode, I need a valid
> >> TSS so that we can handle exceptions in ring 3, otherwise, thanks to an
> >> invalid TSS selector in the TR causing a system shutdown (AMD manual),
> >> the guest could crash the system.
> >>
> >> At the moment, I can save the guest's TR, load the host's TR and then
> >> happily handle exceptions when we are in ring 3 now so that's fixed the
> >> shutdown issue. But, when moving back to the guest, I have no easy way
> >> to restore the TR.
> >
> > I think the CPU will load that state for you from the VMCB when
> > entering the guest.  (At least, if it doesn't, I don't know how VCPU
> > migration works at the moment.)  So only the VMEXIT path needs any
> > attention.
> This pointed me in another direction, thanks!
>
>  From what I've understood, the behaviour of VMEXIT and VMRUN
> instructions don't save/load that state from the VMCB. Though, if that's
> the case, I'd also like to know how the migration code works :).
>
> However, AMD provides VMSAVE and VMLOAD (section 15.4.4 AMD manual 2)
> which DO save/load the TR (and other registers)

Ah, quite right.  E.g., svm_ctxt_switch_to() uses it to load that state on
context switch.

> I guess if we use this then this alleviates much of the complexity as,
> looking at what it saves, I think we would be fine to use VMSAVE and
> VMLOAD just when we are doing a HVM depriv operation, and not need to
> call them every time we took a VMEXIT and that then gets round this problem.

...this looks like a fine plan.  In fact, looking at svm.c, I think
you can just use hvm_get_segment_register()/hvm_set_segment_register(),
which will DTRT internally.

You'll want to make sure that the depriv code can't itself set the
VCPU's TR state in the VMCB (which would be clobbered by the
hvm_set_segment_register() on return to priv mode), but AFAICS that
would be a desirable property anyway.

Cheers,

Tim.