Re: [Xen-devel] [Draft B] Boot ABI for HVM guests without a device-model

>>> On 26.08.15 at 16:44, <roger.pau@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> DYM "These structures are ..."?

>> There is no requirement for the command line/module information to be
>> after the loaded kernel.  All it needs to do is not overlap.
>
> IMHO, this is helpful in order to get last used physical address, after
> which free memory starts. Current FreeBSD implementation relies on this,
> if we didn't do it that way I would have to calculate where the symtab +
> strtab ends, which is more complex.

But the statement leaves open whether there is any free memory at
all after those structures, or whether instead all free memory lives
at lower addresses. Nor do I consider it appropriate to take a present
(one might say overly simplistic) implementation as a basis for setting
arbitrary restrictions.

Jan