Re: [Xen-devel] [xen 4.6 retrospective] Possible solution together with the comments will be helpful

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 02:33:22AM -0600, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > = Issue / Observation =
> > Sometimes the review comments are quite open, it doesn't contain a possible
> > solution or a clear direction,
> > so it is not clear for the contributor on how to effectively address them.
> > At least, in Linux kernel and KVM side, if the maintainers have
> > objection to the implementation of the patches, they will give a possible
> > solution or a direction which is very
> > helpful for the contributor to address the comments. Hence this will make
> > the review discussion more effective and productive and save both reviewer
> > and developer's time.
> >
> > = Possible Solution / Improvement =
> > Try to give some possible solutions with the comments, especially for some
> > big changes which affect a lot
> > to the whole patch-set.
>
> I think when a solution can be thought of in the context of reviewing,
> it is being given. I believe I know which case you allude to here, and
> I'm afraid it's not always reasonable for the reviewer(s) to do the
> contributor's work of finding a solution when none is obvious.

I don't follow everything close enough, so I don't comment on specific
case.

While I agree it's contributors' job to present a viable solution, fresh
contributors might not have the whole picture of the project, they still
need clearer direction on how to proceed. I.e. what general direction
should be taken, what precise constraints they need to meet.  Sometimes,
IMHO, saying something is not going to work, is not good enough for
contributors to proceed, especially when the changes are non-trivial.

This applies even more when a viable solution is not obvious, and to
work out a viable solutions involves changing some core infrastructure
and breaking some previous held assumptions.

Wei.