Re: [Xen-devel] Question: Redirect guest kernel's message via serial port to a file on dom0

On Tue, 2015-09-01 at 11:47 -0400, Meng Xu wrote:

> Yes. I'm using PV VM.
>
> If I run inside VM: # echo 1 > /dev/hvc0, it does not report error.
>
> If I use "xl console vm1" to attach to the hvc0, I can see the output 1.
>
> However, I still cannot find the console file under /var/log/xen.
> Actually, there is no such file under /var after I run "find /var
> -name console".

You need to "mkdir /var/log/xen/console", xenconsoled doesn't do it
automatically.

Once you do that and restart the guest then for a guest named "foo" you
should get /var/log/xen/console/guest-foo.log

> I'm wondering if there is any way for me to debug which configuration
> is incorrect?
> After I make it work, I can write a wiki to document the working
> approach. :-)

http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Reporting_Bugs_against_Xen_Project#Guest_co
nsole_logs isn't the most helpful place for the existing document, that's
for sure.

I suppose there also ought to be a link from
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_FAQ_Console (quite why there is a
separate FAQ when
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Common_Problems#Console actually has
more entries I'm not entirely sure)