Re: [Xen-devel] Design doc of adding ACPI support for arm64 on Xen - version 5

On 02/09/15 14:26, Ian Campbell wrote:

>>> Yes, I mark it with EFI_MEMORY_WB. Is this right?
>>
>> I would say no, but it's only because I looked at the kernel code
>> quickly.
>>
>> You have to looks how ACPI region/UEFI tables are described in the host
>> EFI memory map and mimicking for the DOM0 EFI memory map.
>
> Surely it is the type (EfiACPIReclaimMemory, EfiACPIMemoryNVS etc) and not
> the mapping attributes which should control whether an OS considers a
> region usable? At least until the OS is done parsing tables neither of
> those are usable (which implies we want NVS as our type, unless the memory
> is intended to be reclaimed by dom0, implying it should own it).

It looks like that Linux on ARM64 is considering any region with
EFI_MEMORY_WB set as normal RAM and will try to add as System RAM (see
reserve_regions in arch/arm64/kernel/efi.c).

At the same time, having WB set for a region that should be read-only
looks like wrong to me.

Regards,

--
Julien Grall