Re: [Xen-devel] [BUG] Xen live migration dom0 memory

On Fri, 2015-09-04 at 17:38 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-09-04 at 17:04 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2015-07-07 at 17:26 +0200, Epiontis IT wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I already posted on the xen-users list and Ian told me to post a bug
> > > report here. We have the following problem:
> > >
> > > When I start a migration with "xl migrate <vm> <destination>" the
> > > destination machine sets up a vm "<vm>--incoming" and seems to sync
> > > memory because "xl list" shows "Mem" for the incoming vm going up
> > > stepwise until 2048. After that though the vm doesn't get launched.
> > > The
> > >
> > > vm is frozen for about a minute, the dom0 begins swapping out the 2GB

> > > disk (because it only has 512M available for itself) and a process
> >
> > I spoke with Ian Jackson about this this afternoon and we spent some
> > staring at the pmap, and we are now both very perplexed...
> >
> > So I've just tried to repro this.
> >
> > I installed latest 4.5-testing and a 512M dom0 (which as it happens is
> > also
> > what our automated test system uses). I then migrated a 3GB domU with
> > "xl
> > migrate <dom> localhost" and it completed successfully. I had to do
> > localhost migrate due to only having one box, but I don't think this
> > should
> > matter.
> >
> > I observed the save helper with pmap and never saw any large
> > allocations.
> >
> > This matches the behaviour that both Ian and I expected.
> >
> > Your logs show you are running 4.5.1-rc1. I've looked over
> > git log 4.5.1-rc1..origin/staging-4.5 -- tools/libx[cl]/
> > and I don't see anything like a fix for a leak etc.
> >
> > Next step is to revert my test box from staging-4.5 to 4.5.1-rc1 and
> > see
> > what changes.
>
> Nothing changed.
>
> I then tried building this tree with
>
> EXTRA_CFLAGS_XEN_TOOLS="-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
> -Werror=format-security" APPEND_CPPFLAGS="-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2"
> APPEND_LDFLAGS="-Wl,-z,relro"
>
> which is how the Debian package is built, still no change.
>
> My next step was to build patched with the Debian patches, still no
> change.

I see in https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=797205 that 4.4
also demonstrates this for you.

So I have now tried the packaged versions of Xen 4.4.1 + Linux 3.16 (from
Jessie) and Xen 4.4.1 + Linux 4.1 (from jessie-backports) and still no luck
reproducing the issue.

I'm afraid at this point I'm giving up. I think the most practical next
step would be for you to arrange run the restore helper under valgrind as I
describe below.

Ian.