Re: [Xen-devel] Linux 4.1 reports wrong number of pages to toolstack

On 04/09/15 20:46, Wei Liu wrote:

When I looked at write_batch() I found some snippets that I thought to
be wrong. But I didn't what to make the judgement when I didn't have a
clear head.
write_batch() is a complicated function but it can't usefully be split any
further.  I would be happy to explain bits or expand the existing comments,
but it is also possible that it is buggy.

I think write_batch is correct. I overlooked one function call. I'm not
overly happy with the handling of balloon pages and the use of deferred
array in non-live transfer, but those things are not buggy in itself.

Handling of ballooned pages is broken at several layers. This was covered in my talk at Seattle. Fixing it is non-trivial.

The use of the deferred array is necessary for live migrates, and used in non-live migrates to avoid diverging the algorithm. Nothing in the non-live side queries the deferred array (which itself is a contributory factor to the ballooning issue, as there is no interlock to prevent something else issuing population/depopoulation hypercalls on behalf of the paused domain).

~Andrew