[Xen-devel] Asus X99-A VT-d problems

Hi,

I'm using a Asus X99-A motherboard with latest bios which in paper (and in BIOS) supports VT-d. However, with Xen 4.5.1 and Xen unstable the VT-d fails completely on SATA AHCI with "failed to IDENTIFY".

I also tried to disable the SATA controller completely from BIOS and try to boot from USB stick (to debug further). However, also the USB-ports fail when using VT-d with error message "Fatal error, HC died" and then the kernel panics.

I googled around and tried the pci-phantom boot parameter for both the SATA and USB controllers and also the iommu=workaround_bios_bug but with no success.

The SATA controller that my system is using is:

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Wellsburg 6-Port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 05)

And the USB controllers:

00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Wellsburg USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Wellsburg USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
07:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042A USB 3.0 Host Controller

And lastly: I installed ESXI 6.0 and it installed successfully with VT-d enabled. So I suspect that this might be a combination of BIOS/Xen bug that VMware has been able to solve (or then they do something differently).

I'm happy to help to debug this further if needed, but so far I'm not able to boot the system at all without iommu=0 boot parameter.

Best regards,
Valtteri Kiviniemi