Re: [Xen-devel] [edk2] EDK II & GPL - Re: OVMF BoF @ KVM Forum 2015

> > On Sep 10, 2015, at 4:40 AM, Alexander Graf <agraf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I think for many companies it is important that a developer of theirs
> >> who is "blissfully ignorant" of licensing questions simply *cannot*
> >> make a mistake (eg. by copying code from the "wrong" directory, or by
> >> using the "wrong" submodule). It should be foolproof.

> >> I'm not sure at all. Do you have a pointer? :)
> >
> > Well, the BSDs definitely have drivers, but I find the BSD VFS layer
> > quite confusing to be honest ;).
> >
> > Then there is
> > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__elm-
> 2Dchan.org_fsw_ff_00index-5Fe.html&d=BQID-
> g&c=eEvniauFctOgLOKGJOplqw&r=1HnUuXD1wDvw67rut5_idw&m=6S8FigY
> 338Lo73J1DVLkCR-sshwa_iC7dw0Ng-S8U4o&s=l2F5kQrmSHyEb7D4po7B0A-
> vQK1l7rCkw79eJCddVmQ&e=  which from my gut feeling has a compatible
> license (read: needs verification).
> >
> > I'm sure with some extensive search one can find a workable driver. Or
> > for example Apple could just contribute theirs as BSD licensed.

As Fish said with a bit of a modernization:
I'm not an attorney nor do I play one on YouTube, and adding that I'm not
speaking for my employer although I actually do that on YouTube...

If you follow the above link to http://elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/00index_e.html ,
that software source code is licensed to the user of the software source code
under a very permissive 1 clause BSD license.  Ok, that solves one issue.

If you read down in the web page, it points to the Microsoft EFI FAT32 File
System Specification page where the next issue is addressed.  By the way, this
probably is something close to the specification that was used by the original
developers to create the EDK2 driver.

"Note: The download license agreement permits you to use the Microsoft EFI
FAT32 File System Specification only in connection with a firmware
implementation of the Extensible Firmware Initiative Specification, v. 1.0. If
you plan to implement the FAT32 File System specification for other purposes,
you must obtain an additional license from Microsoft." - copied from
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463080.aspx

Snipping the statement of interest to "If you plan to implement... for other
purposes... you must obtain an additional license from Microsoft."

Just being an individual person and not an attorney, this leads me to guess
that Microsoft wants one to have a license if one plans on implementing the
spec.  Not use, not implement, but the act of planning to implement.  I would
also guess when one goes to Microsoft to obtain this license, one would then
learn about the license to actually use ones code after you planned and
implemented.

So, continuing to guess here, I would guess that ANY of the FAT file systems
that you find with clean BSD source code license or standard GPL, were not
developed under a valid Microsoft FAT implementation license.  Further leading
me to guess that any actual use of those implementations could lead to you
actually needing to hire a real attorney and not one that you find on YouTube.

> They are talking about an EFI FAT driver with a BSD compatible license, not a
> BSD driver.
> The edk2 EFI FAT driver has a license that matches the FAT32 spec it was
> coded against, but that license restricts the usage of the code to EFI. This
> is
> not deemed a GPL compatible license, so that causes issues with down
> stream GPL projects of the edk2 as there is a binary for the EFI FAT driver
> checked into the main branch of the edk2. The source to the edk2 EFI FAT
> driver is separate from the edk2 based on its funky license.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Fish
>

> > Alex

Please forgive me if I have violated any of the rules for responding to emails
on the cc:'ed list.  I'm just a manager at work so I'm not very experienced at
following rules.  Feel free to flame me directly.

As an aside to another branch of this thread, is the only way to prove
friendliness to the Linux community by having a complete un-permissive GPL'ed
BIOS source code?  After years of working in the industry and trying to effect
change in the companies for which I work and in the customers that I service, I
would have thought what I'm doing is being friendly.    Again, feel free to
flame me directly instead of filling up this branch of the thread.

Thanks!
Kevin
An actual individual not speaking for my employer