Re: [Xen-devel] rdmsr_safe in Linux PV (under Xen) gets an #GP:Re: [Fedora-xen] Running fedora xen on top of KVM?

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 08:20:46AM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> In any event, Borislav, you must have typed rdmsr_safe for a reason :)

Wasn't me:

6c62aa4a3c12 ("x86: make amd.c have 64bit support code")

I think the error handling of rdmsrl_safe() was needed to do the pfn
games which are done in the if-clause.

>  Either rdmsr_safe in that context is broken on Xen and not native
> (which is entirely possible -- I didn't check carefully) or the
> rdmsr_safe isn't "safe" on any type of kernel.  Persumably either the
> kernel or KVM (or both) should be fixed.

What Paolo said.

> Given that we can handle fixups in the decompressor, surely it
> wouldn't be so hard to make early GPF fixups work in the main kernel.

Frankly, I still am wondering what a sensible use case of running xen
hypervisor/dom0 as a kvm guest would be.

--
Regards/Gruss,
    Boris.

ECO tip #101: Trim your mails when you reply.