[Xen-devel] Xen, ACPI and Linux

Hi all,

Mark, Ard and I have just had a discussion on ACPI, EFI and booting
interfaces for Xen and kexec.

We all agree that the most important thing to do is to document
precisely what this interface looks like. Not just the device tree
nodes, but also who calls ExitBootServices, SetVirtualAddressMap, etc.
We need to make clear that it is an external interface and will be
maintained for backward compatibility going forward.  The proposed
renaming of the device tree nodes is OK, and can be part of it.

Regarding Runtime Services, the EFI spec doesn't allow a NULL pointer to
the Runtime Services table, so Mark would like to see a proper pointer
being passed there.  The function table could be populated with
hypercall wrappers in assembly, keeping the same interface to Xen that
we have today in drivers/xen/efi.c. It should be part of the initial
patch series.

If that turns out to be very hard to do (which is unlikely), or if that
approach has any unforeseen problems, we could specify in the external ABI
document that the Runtime Services table pointer can be NULL. Mark
would be less happy with this solution, let's try the other one first.

Cheers,

Stefano