[Xen-devel] Xenheap placement in a NUMA system

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Mario Lodde <m_lodde@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 14:28:21 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 12:45:01 +0000

Hi everyone,

I’m new to Xen and I’m trying to understand how physical memory is managed. If
I’m understanding correctly the source code, the hypervisor allocates the
memory it needs only from the xenheap, while the rest of the memory is used by
dom0 and the domUs.
If we consider a NUMA system, is the entire xenheap concentrated in the boot
node or is it spread across the nodes?
In case it’s all stored in the boot node, and dom0’s memory is also contained
entirely in the same node, is it correct to say that a failure in another node
would just require to shut down the VMs that are running in that node but the
rest of the system is still able to run?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,
Mario