Re: [Xen-devel] Xen / EC2 network HVM device visibility

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 03:25:20PM +1000, Andrew Stuart wrote:
> As far as I can tell, Xen HVM domu guests detect and use the RTL8139
> network card thus its not a hard requirement to use the PVHVM drivers.

That's because the default emulated nic in libxl is RTL8139. You can
specify others as well.  And yes, you're free to not use PVHVM drivers.

> On EC2 however, am I right in understanding that although EC2 is using
> Xen HVM, the RTL8139 network device is not available and therefore to
> get networking it is a requirement for PVHVM drivers?

We can't answer this question because we don't run EC2 after all. You'd
better try to reach EC2 engineers for this question.

Wei.