Re: [Xen-devel] Improve or change devel mailing-list for improve efficiency and spending less time, is this possible?

Il 31/08/2015 21:38, Russell Pavlicek ha scritto:
Please forgive the top-post.  I am stuck with an interface which does not
facilitate inline replies (as insane as that may sound).

Russell has evaluated some off-the shelf tooling that would allow bridging
the gap: unfortunately there is nothing good out there, which works well
in practice. Google groups, which was designed with list support in it
also kind of sucks. However, I believe we still have a project with a
contractor ongoing to try and bridge xen-users with
http://xenproject.org/help/questions-and-answers.html (such that they
become mirrors of each other) - I will let Russell give an update. If that
project gets to the point that the bridge works, that nobody is badly
impacted, maybe we can consider extending it to other lists.
Lars is correct that the choices are sparse and poor when it comes to skinning existing email
lists as forums.  We have a stalled, but on-going, project to skin the xen-users mailing list
on the Q&A forum on XenProject.org.  Most of the basic functionality exists in the
extension we are trying to use, but functions (emailing certain parties who are interacting
via the website) do not work as advertised.  The contractor was following up with the
extension provider, but atop-to-bottom reorganization of the contracting company has put the
effort on hold for the past several weeks until they reboot their services division
(supposedly, "next month"; we'll see).

We were approached by a startup last year which had promising forum-skinning
technology, but they were both closed source and expensive.  I think that
company may have failed already.

There are a handful of options of integrated forum & mailing list (Discourse
being one of the most prominent), but they require recreating the mailing list
under the auspices of the tool. So the xen-devel mailing list as we know it would
have to be abandoned and/or migrated to the new tool.  That represents a
potentially large disturbance to existing users, which isn't desirable.

I haven't reassessed the solution landscape in a few months, so maybe it is
time to check again.  But I am not hopeful that we will find a good result.

BTW, if you know someone looking for their next FOSS project, feel free to
suggest transparent skinning of an email list with a forum interface.  It is a
real niche with no good players.

I still not found a good and "all-in-one" solution but I saw this open source project: patchwork http://jk.ozlabs.org/projects/patchwork/ Seems interesting, is integrated with mailing list, now seems with "basic features" but probably in future it could become great. I same that many open source project already use it, has someone here already tried it in other projects? If yes what do you think?

Russ Pavlicek
Xen Project Evangelist, Citrix Systems
Home Office: +1-301-829-5327
Mobile: +1-301-814-1143