Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC 00/29] Incomplete Kconfig conversion

On Tue, 2015-10-06 at 10:58 -0500, Doug Goldstein wrote:
> You stated this better than I did. My goal is not to necessarily make
> this like the Linux kernel where users toggle on different bits at a
> whim but more for developers and companies shipping Xen, basically those
> with specialized environments could use this to upstream more code and
> have it disabled by default.

This last bit will need some care and consideration, since such options are
liable to lead to the sort of fragmentation I'm worried about i.e. people
thinking they can turn them on outside the specialized environments and be
supported in doing so. But I think we can deal with that after this initial
transition. It should dovetail quite nicely with the "feature lifecycle"
stuff being discussed elsewhere.

> The current patchset only exposes KEXEC as a user facing option because
> its currently a user facing option in the source tree. I would not
> expand the list of user facing options past that. I consider adding more
> outside of the scope of this work and something that would happen after
> this series lands on a case by case basis.
>
> My ultimate goal with this initial work is to get all the developer
> knobs in one place because currently they are spread around as Makefile
> defines or defines in a header file and get a little bit of code
> comments around them.

Great!

Ian.