Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: LTS and stable release scheme

On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 02:10:05PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-10-06 at 12:07 +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> > 2. What to do with the non-LTS releases?
> >
> > I think they should still be considered stable releases for some
> > time. I'm just not sure for how long they should receive updates. One
> > way of looking at them is to use the same concept as Linux -- they
> > receive updates until next stable kernel is out. We can tweak this, of
> > course.
>
> FWIW I think reducing the time non-LTS stable releases are supported would
> be a reasonable way to offset the extra cost of maintaining the LTS
> releases for longer overall.
>
> > Luckily I do see technical and procedural solution this is issue -- we
> > can setup stable@ alias to keep track of requests [5]. With that all
> > backport requests embedded in patches won't get lost. Downstream
> > consumers can also benefit from this because they then easily know
> > which patches are backport candidates.
>
> It sounds here like you are proposing something more than a simple mail
> alias dropping into the relevant maintainer(s) INBOX, i.e. something which
> actually tracks the requests and publishes the queue and status etc for the
> benefit of both users and the maintainers?

I don't have definitive answer in mind.

It could be an alias for all maintainers. Making sure a patch contains
CC stable@ is good enough for searching through git log for candidates.

It could be a public mailing list that stable tree maintainers and
interested downstream users subscribe to.

The system you mentioned is a bit overly complicated as a starter. Let's
start with something simple.

Wei.