Re: [Xen-devel] [Qemu-devel] Question about xen disk unplug support for ahci missed in qemu

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> Il 19/10/2015 12:18, Stefano Stabellini ha scritto:

> > > I'm trying to follow this discussion as best as I am able, but my lack
> > > of experience with Xen prevents me from really participating in a
> > > meaningful way.
> > >
> > > (I see that Laszlo is still discussing some CD-ROM issues with Fabio
> > > which may be of interest to me...)
> > >
> > > At any rate, I won't be authoring any Xen-specific hacks to the AHCI
> > > device, but I do have plans to implement hot-plugging emulation as per
> > > the AHCI spec. Perhaps this is sufficient for the Xen layer, but someone
> > > else will need to author the appropriate glue code.
> > >
> > > If "real" hot-plugging is not sufficient, we'll need to discuss further,
> > > preferably over some RFC patches.
> > That's fine. AHCI hot-plugging would go a long way and once we have
> > that, the rest is easy.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Stefano
>
> Thanks for any improvement you will do.
> About AHCI hotplugging will remove bad thing of actual "xen unplug" in
> seabios/ovmf but not the hybrid pv solution right?

Yeah, it would still be an hybrid solution

> Doing without hybrid like what I tried you told me with ovmf probably is
> better solution after solving other bugs but probably someone don't want plain
> remove it.

Yes, I think OVMF with PV disks is a better approach and we'll fix any
bugs you find. If you find other bugs, send them to the list!

> About empty cdrom not working in ovmf but needed by xl cd-insert/cd-eject I
> suppose that is easly reproducible, I had it in any case I tested.
> If not and more details are needed tell me and I'll rebuild and test following
> Lazslo instructions.

No worries, we should be able to repro and fix it, thanks for the
report!