Re: [Xen-devel] xl: insufficient ballooning when starting certain guests

Sorry for the late reply. This fell through the crack.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 03:41:47AM -0600, Jan Beulich wrote:
> Tools maintainers,
>
> it looks as if changes in the memory requirements of the hypervisor
> have pushed things over the border of not working anymore when
> passing through a device and not sharing page tables (between VT-d
> and EPT, or unconditionally on AMD). Since this has always been a

I think this is referring to a system-wide option, which presumably can
be tuned by setting "sharept" command line option?

> latent issue (as it's quite obvious that two sets of page tables require
> more memory than a single set) it should imo be fixed. The main issue
> (afaics) here is that the information about whether sharing is in use
> is not currently available to the tools (ignoring the awkward option of
> parsing the hypervisor log). Therefore the question is - should we
> extend XEN_SYSCTL_physinfo accordingly, or are there other
> suitable means to communicate such information which I'm not
> (immediately) aware of?

I'm not aware of other channel at the moment but I don't think physinfo
is the right place.

Furthermore, with the understanding that you hope toolstack to set the
limit properly (with SHADOW_OP_SET_ALLOCATION), passing back one bit of
information doesn't help toolstack determine how much extra memory it
needs. We might as well blindly increase the slack value in libxl (which
is a bad idea IMHO).

Is there a way to pre-determine how much extra memory is needed for the
non-shared case? If so, can it be done in toolstack alone?

What does the hypervisor do when PTs are shared but it still hits the
boundary? I presume the current default value never triggers such
situation?

Wei.