Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC v2] xSplice design

On 29.10.2015 17:55, Ross Lagerwall wrote:
> On 10/27/2015 12:05 PM, Ross Lagerwall wrote:
>> On 06/12/2015 12:39 PM, Martin Pohlack wrote:
>>> On 15.05.2015 21:44, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I am not convinced yet, that you need an asynchronous approach here.
>>>
>>> The experience from our prototype suggests that hotpatching itself is
>>> not an expensive operation.  It can usually be completed well below 1ms
>>> with the most expensive part being getting the hypervisor to a quiet
>>> state.
>>>

>> FWIW, my current implementation (which is almost certainly not optimal)
>> tested on a 72 CPU machine takes about 3ms, whether idle or fully loaded.
>>

> Let me correct that: it takes 60 Îs to 100 Îs to synchronize and apply
> the patch (on the same hardware) when synchronous console logging is
> turned off.

The interesting (and very rare) case is if other CPUs are busy in Xen
already, for example, with memory scrubbing or other long-running
activities.  Those are hard to interrupt and delay patching activity.

Having multiple guests in a reboot-loop / being restarted all the time
might help triggering this case.

Martin
Amazon Development Center Germany GmbH
Krausenstr. 38
10117 Berlin
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Dr. Ralf Herbrich, Christian Schlaeger
Ust-ID: DE289237879
Eingetragen am Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 149173 B