Re: [Xen-devel] About Xen bridged pci devices and suspend/resume for the X10SAE motherboard (SuperMicro)

On Wed, 2015-11-04 at 16:06 -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 04, 2015 at 02:49:11AM +0200, M. Ivanov wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've experimented with my X10SAE and I think the problem with being
> > unable to resume after suspending to RAM has something to do with the
> > PCI Bridge violating the spec by trying to DMA from another address,
> > since I got a DMAR error about DMA access on address 05:00.0(but in the
> > bios event log it says Bus06), also the Tundra PCI Bridge is on address
> > 04:00.0. (so like your case with address 7 and 8, but mine's 4 and 5),
> > btw adding a PCI-E vga seems to change the addresses.
>
> <nods>
> >
> > When I disable IOMMU+Xen it works fine, so I mostly sure it's that.
> > Though I've tried running just Linux with the iommu param on and I
> > didn't get an error when sleeping/resuming. But I haven't tried doing a
> > pass-through with it
>
> <nods>
> >
> > I've read in a previous thread about a patch of yours for the X10SAE
> > problem. Which version of Xen can I use it on?(I am currently tinkering
> > with 4.4.3-RELEASE).
>
> Oh my I can't remember.
http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-02/msg02037.html
I've succeeded in compiling Xen 4.4.3-RELEASE with that patch and i've
also loaded the kernel module you've provided(hack.c) but I've tried
changing the address to 5 instead of 7, since my Tundra is on 4. But
maybe I made some mistake since it didn't make a difference, still
couldn't resume from sleep.

> > Also I take it - I need to use hack.c to tell xen to create the fake
> > device,(in my case 05:00.0) and to link it with 04:00.0? But how do I
> > get that file to compile? Since I don't have a makefile/etc. for it.
>
> So.. that motherboard is a pain to work with. I found after numerous
> emails to their technical support that the PCI chipset is not capable
> of dealing with VT-d. That is PCI passhtrough of any PCI devices - nada.
Well, as of my new bios 3.0 I haven't tried passing through devices. But
it probably works, since I could do so in 2.0a(ethernet controllers and
usb controller). The only problem I've experienced is not being able to
resume after suspend.

> > Also, can't I just disable the PCI Tundra bridge somehow? And what about
> > phantom pci and the pciback-hide? Can they help?
>
> That would be nice.
If all else fails, maybe I will try modifying the BIOS with a hex
editor.

> > I've read about problems regarding the Asmedia controller, so I've
> > disabled it from the bios, but that didn't help at all.
>
> Lets take one problem at a time. The current issue you are seeing
> is suspend/resume right? That is you just booted Xen + Linux
> and ran 'pm-suspend'. And the motherboard did not resume from there?
>
> But it works OK with Linux?
>
> Is AMT enabled on your setup?
Hm, I will try disabling it now(since it says Enabled in the bios), but
AMT doesn't work anyway since I've updated my BIOS to 3.0 and it says in
the Supermicro support docs that 3.0 doesn't support AMT even though the
option is in the BIOS. Will buy a Supermicro serial cable these days.
Annoying that I can't use a regular one.

In the meantime, I don't get it why the Xen log isn't working. I'm using
the log_lvl=all and guest_loglvl=all, yet I ain't getting anything
in /var/log/xen. It did work once on Fedora 22 + Xen 4.5, atm on Fedora
23 + Xen 4.5 - doesn't work, nor on Fedora 21 + Xen 4.4.