Re: [Xen-devel] Uniform commands for booting xen

>> > Hello, all. I'd like to have set of commands that would boot xen on all
>> > platforms. I thought of following set:
>> >
>> > xen_hypervisor FILE XEN_OPTIONS
>> > xen_kernel FILE KERNEL_OPTIONS
>> > xen_initrd INITRD INITRD INITRD
>> > all initrds are concatenated.
>> > xen_xsm ???
>>
>> xen_ucode (and we might add more going forward). I don't see
>> why the multiboot mechanism (kernel plus any number of modules)
>> can't be used, without adding any Xen-specific directives.
>
> You likely aren't aware that on ARM Xen doesn't boot via multiboot, but via
> a protocol which involves passing modules in an fdt[0].
>
> I had originally hoped that this would use the same command names in the
> grub cfg, such that things would just work, however the grub maintainers
> didn't like that (and I appreciate why).
>
> Hence on grub/ARM we already have xen_{hypervisor,kernel,initrd,...}.
>
> The question then is what grub-mkconfig (or more precisely
> /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen) ought to emit so that things just work on all
> architectures.
>
> The author of the grub/ARM/Xen patches initially made it generate the xen_*
> namas for arm and the multiboot names for x86, here is Vladimir's feedback
> on that: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2015-10/msg00133.html
>
> Which I think gets us to approximately today and Vladimir's question.

Now that makes the situation really ugly (and supports my
reservations regarding grub2 as a uniform solution for everything).
How do you express modules other than kernel+initrd in that
scheme, without grub needing to be aware of any new addition we
may find necessary going forward?

I think any architecture following a well defined, cross-arch
protocol (like multiboot) should not require any special xen_*
directives. If ARM64 needs Xen to be treated specially, special
directives are maybe warranted for this particular case, but I don't
see why all architectures supporting Xen should then automatically
have to use those too. But yes, it's not my call decide this...

Jan