Re: [Xen-devel] Crash in set_cpu_sibling_map() booting Xen 4.6.0 on Fusion

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 03:34:45AM -0700, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > I instrumented detect_extended_topology() and ran again with 4 CPUs.
> >[...]
> > (XEN) smp_store_cpu_info id=3
> > (XEN) detect_extended_topology cpuid_count op=0xb count=0 eax=0x0 ebx=0x1
> > ecx=0x100 edx=0x6
> > (XEN) detect_extended_topology initial_apicid=6 core_plus_mask_width=0
> > core_level_siblings=1
> > (XEN) detect_extended_topology cpuid_count op=0xb count=1 eax=0x0 ebx=0x1
> > ecx=0x201 edx=0x6
> > (XEN) detect_extended_topology ht_mask_width=0 core_plus_mask_width=0
> > core_select_mask=0x0 core_level_siblings=1
> >[...]
> > If cpuid 0xb returned 1 rather than 0 in eax[4:0], we would get
> > consecutively-numbered physical processor IDs.
> >
> > But the only requirement I see in the IA SDM (vol 2A, table 3-17) is that
> > the eax[4:0] value yield unique IDs, not necessarily consecutive. Likewise
> > while the examples in vol 3A sec 8.9 show physical IDs numbered
> > consecutively, the algorithms do not assume this is the case.
>
> Indeed, and I think I had said so. The algorithm does, however, tell
> us that with the above output CPU 3 (APIC ID 6) is on socket 6 (both
> shifts being zero), which for the whole system results in sockets 1,
> 3, and 5 unused. While not explicitly excluded, I'm not sure how far
> we should go in expecting all kinds of odd configurations (along those
> lines we e.g. have a limit on the largest APIC ID we allow: MAX_APICS /
> MAX_LOCAL_APIC, which for big systems is 4 times the number of
> CPUs we support).
>
> Taking it to set_nr_sockets(), a pretty basic assumption is broken by
> the above way of presenting topology: We would have to have more
> sockets than there are CPUs. I would have wanted to check what
> e.g. Linux does here, but there doesn't seem to be any support of
> CAT (and hence any need for per-socket data) there.

Actually I checked Linux code when I implementing this but it doesn't
exist. Current Linux CAT patch supports only system-level other than
per-socket level so it doesn't need that as well. There are people
requesting to add per-socket support so Linux need solve this problem
eventually. But at this time, we don't have any reference.

> (I am, btw, now also confused by you saying that e.g. for a 3-CPU
> config things work. If the topology data gets presented in similar
> ways in that case, I can't see why you wouldn't run into the same
> problem. Unless memory corruption occurs silently in one case, but
> "loudly" in the other.)
>
> Bottom line - for the moment I do not see a reasonable way of
> dealing with that situation. The closest I could see would be what
> we iirc had temporarily during the review cycles of the initial CAT
> series: A command line option to specify the number of sockets. Or
> make all accesses to socket_cpumask[] conditional upon PSR being
> enabled (which would have the bad side effect of making future
> uses for other purposes more cumbersome), or go through and
> range check the socket number on all of those accesses.
>
> Chao, could you - inside Intel - please check whether there are
> any assumptions on the respective CPUID leaf output that aren't
> explicitly stated in the SDM right now (like resulting in contiguous
> socket numbers), and ask for them getting made explicit (if there
> are any), or it being made explicit that no assumptions at all are
> to be made at all on the presented values

Actually there is already such statement in SDM (ch8.9.1, vol3):

"The value of valid APIC_IDs need not be contiguous across package
boundary or core boundaries".

> (in which case we'd
> have to consume MADT parsing data in set_nr_sockets(), e.g.
> by replacing num_processors there with one more than the
> maximum APIC ID of any non-disabled CPU)?

Even with this, we still have problem for hotplug case, the inserted
CPU may have a APIC_ID bigger than the maximum APIC_ID here.

But let's back to the real world. Most machines that support CAT should
have continuous SOCKET_ID so it's not a problem. Giving that CAT is the
only feature uses this, I guess this suggestion might be better than
other solutions in practice.

Chao