Re: [Xen-devel] Rumprun based upstream QEMU stubdom status update

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 11:45:13AM +0000, Wei Liu wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 11:16:47PM -0500, Eric Shelton wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > > I discussed with Stefano and Anthony to reassess Linux-based stubdom,
> > > with all the issues mentioned above, if we narrow down the scope of
> > > the project -- ignore BSD support for now, integrate build with
> > > Raisin, no distros integration -- it can actually be done within a
> > > finite time frame.
> > >
> > > Here are some issues with the existing patch series:
> > >
> > > 1. It's using Dracut build image, which is Redhat-centric.
> > >

> > That issue was raised before, but I'm not sure how much it really is.
> > FWIW, I was using my updated version of Anthony's work on a Gentoo system,
> > and encountered no issues.  Is there a Linux distribution that we know
> > dracut does not work on?  It would be helpful to know.  Although I have not
> > really dug into dracut, it seemed to be effective for our purposes
> > (collecting the libraries that need to be included in the Linux image for
> > QEMU), and I'd rather not recreate dracut or part of dracut if we don't
> > need to.
> >

> I can't recollect previous objections. If we know dracut is packaged in
> most major distributions then I don't have objection to it.
>
> Currently in Anthony's patch set, dracut is downloaded and built. That's
> not ideal. To integrate with Raisin, the only viable way is to install
> packaged Dracut -- building the tool to build image itself is not
> acceptable to me.

The only things that is use from dracut is dracut-install, I think. It
copies a binary and the libraries that the binary depends on into a
directory. I guess this could be replaced by a script if using tools
available in distros is an issue.

--
Anthony PERARD