Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable test] 65141: regressions - FAIL

>>> On 05.12.15 at 09:09, <ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-12-02 at 13:51 +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
>
>> http://osstest.test-lab.xenproject.org/~osstest/pub/logs/65301/
>>
>> I think that ought to give a baseline for the bisector to work with. I'll
>> prod it to do so.
>
> Results are below. TL;DR: d02e84b9d9d "vVMX: use latched VMCS machine
> address" is somehow at fault.
>
> It appears to be somewhat machine specific, the one this has been
> failing on is godello* which says "CPU0: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220
> v3 @ 3.10GHz stepping 03" in its serial log.
>
> Andy suggested this might be related to cpu_has_vmx_vmcs_shadowing
> so Haswell and newer vs IvyBridge and older.

Yeah, but on irc it was also made clear that the regression is on a
system without that capability.

At this point we certainly need to seriously consider reverting the
whole change. The reason I continue to be hesitant is that I'm
afraid this may result in no-one trying to find out what the problem
here is. While I could certainly try to, I'm sure I won't find time to
do so within the foreseeable future. And since we didn't get any
real feedback from Intel so far, I thought I'd ping them to at least
share some status before we decide. That pinging has happened
a few minutes ago. I'd therefore like to give it, say, another day,
and if by then we don't have an estimate for when a fix might
become available, I'd do the revert. Unless of course somebody
feels strongly about doing the revert immediately.

Jan