Re: [Xen-devel] blkback name greater than 16 characters issue

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 11:46:35AM -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Way back in the past Jan pointed out this issue
> http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-05/msg03505.html
>
> which is that the device name is "blkback.<domid>.<name>"
>
> for exmaple: blkback.8.xvda, blkback.11.hda
>
> With the multiqueue block backend we add "-%d" for the queue.
> But sadly this is already way past the limit so it gets stripped.
>

> Possible solution had been identified by Ian:
> http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-05/msg03516.html
>
>       "
>       If you are pressed for space then the "xvd" is probably a bit redundant
>       in a string which starts blkbk.
>
>       The guest may not even call the device xvdN (iirc BSD has another
>       prefix) any how, so having blkback say so seems of limited use anyway.
>
>       Since this seems to not include a partition number how does this work in
>       the split partition scheme? (i.e. one where the guest is given xvda1 and
>       xvda2 rather than xvda with a partition table)
>
> [It will be 'blkback.8.xvda1', and 'blkback.11.xvda2']
>
>       Perhaps something derived from one of the schemes in
>       http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/misc/vbd-interface.txt might be a
>       better fit?
> "
>
> [Inline is my answer]
>
> My desire is to easily correlate the name of the thread with the
> guest config. And that means preserving the 'xvda' or 'hda' or whatever
> the user had in mind.
>
> I believe the domain id is important as well - so we need that.
>
> Which means we are left with the prefix. Should it be 'blkbk' or
> should it be completely eliminated? Meaning we have:
>
>  8.xvda
>  11.hda
>
>  and
>  9.xvda-1
>  9.xvda-2
>  32100.xvdfg9-5
>
> Or perhaps use 'blk."
>
> blk.32100.xvdfg9-5
> (exactly 17, so '5' is gone).
>
> Perhaps in those occassions drop 'blk.' altogether? But I wouldn't want
> a special case, so back to:
>
>  32100.xvdfg9-5
>
> ? Thoughts?
>
> Or

? Or enlarge TASK_COMM_LEN? :-)

Jokes aside, 'git grep blkback' in tools directory doesn't show any
reference to "blkback" in code (as I would expect), so there is no risk
in breaking tookstack should you change the name.

I don't really have a preference whatsoever on this.

Wei.