Re: [Xen-devel] question about migration

Andrew Cooper writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] question about migration"):
> On 05/01/16 15:40, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Would you like to prepare a patch ?
>
> I don't have a repro of the issue.  This thread was merely me triaging
> an issue reported by Wen, given some `git grep`.  (There are actually 3
> different bugs on different subthreads of this thread.)

I will do so then.

> >> In general however, no.  Consider a libxl user (such as a snapshotting
> >> utility) which asks a domain to suspend to quiesce the disks and then
> >> intends to resume the domain.
> >
> > Currently such a utility would have to use
> > libxl_evenable_domain_death to discover when the domain suspends, but
> > that would cause breakage as discussed in this thread.  So I think
> > such a utility would need a new libxl evenable interface.  Do you
> > agree ?
>
> This looks like a yakk.

It's a yak that someone would have to shave when they wanted to write
such a utility.

> Changing the behaviour of libxl_evenable_domain_death() will break the
> API and also break in-guest users.  It also doesn't return the shutdown
> code, so the caller can't loop while shutdown && suspend.

I don't understand what you mean.

Currently libxl_evenable_domain_death reports DOMAIN_SHUTDOWN and
provides the reason code.  But it only does so once, so when a domain
is migrated it triggers during the suspend-for-migrate and then
generates no further SHUTDOWN event.

So any code trying to use this for your snapshotting case is already
broken and cannot be fixed without introducing a new API (probably one
which generates separate suspend/unsuspend events).

(We can't have libxl_evenable_domain_death generate new unsuspend
events because existing callers won't understand.)

I therefore propose that:

libxl_evenable_domain_death should never generate DOMAIN_SHUTDOWN with
reason code suspended.  Instead, it should hope that the domain will
reason, or is destroyed, it should report those things.

In the future we introduce libxl_evenable_domain_state which generates
the existing events from libxl_evenable_domain_death but also two new
events DOMAIN_SUSPENDED or DOMAIN_RUNNING.

Ian.