Re: [Xen-devel] OVMF related osstest failures on multiple branches

On Wed, 2016-01-06 at 16:28 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Jan Beulich writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] OVMF related osstest failures on
> multiple branches"):
> > On 06.01.16 at 16:28, <ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Running xen-4.6-testing with ovmf.git 52a99493cce8 instead of
> > > cb9a7ebabcd6
> > > does seem to have worked (i.e. the flight hasn't actually finished
> > > yet but
> > > it has passed the debian-hvm-install step).
>
> Great.ÂÂSo AFAICT we would conclude that Debian jessie does not work
> with the older OVMF.

Strictly speaking Jessie's compiler cannot build a working OVMF binary.

Jessie as a guest appears to work just fine.

> > > If we want to follow [1] then the plan of attack is:
> > > Â* I need to identify the patch(es) which actually fix this issue and
> > > ÂÂÂcherrypick it into new stable branches in ovmf.git for 4.4, 4.5
> > > and 4.6.
> > > Â* Ian J to update OVMF_UPSTREAM_REVISION in the corresponding
> > > xen.git
> > > ÂÂÂstable branches to point to all those commits (either branch name
> > > or
> > > ÂÂÂSHA, not sure).
> > > Â* The release checklist needs updating to include tagging this new
> > > tree
> > > ÂÂÂand updating OVMF_UPSTREAM_REVISION to point to the tag instead of
> > > the
> > > ÂÂÂcommit (I think this is strictly speaking option, but we should do
> > > it).
> > > Â* We might want to consider retroactively tagging the versions of
> > > ovmf
> > > ÂÂÂused in 4.4.[01234], 4.5.[012] and 4.6.0 in ovmf.git, which would
> > > be
> > > ÂÂÂhelpful for people using gitk etc to look at the history I suppose
> > >
> > > That assumes a seabios/qemut style model to updating ovmf, i.e.
> > > ungated
> > > manual Config.mk update, if we were to switch to a gate it would be
> > > different but regardless of the merits of doing things that way it
> > > does't
> > > seem like a thing to do on a stable branch.
>
> This is quite a lot of work.ÂÂDoing this work would perhaps make sense
> if we had a reasonable idea what was going on in ovmf.git, which
> changes to cherry pick to stable branches, etc.ÂÂBut AFAICT we don't.

FWIW adding just 39ef30bb47b6 toÂcb9a7ebabcd6 seems to have worked, but
finding that was based on a search for "GCC" in the commit log and a wild
hunch ;-).

> So I would be tempted to just update the Config.mk reference in stable
> trees.

That's my inclination too.

Ian.