Re: [Xen-devel] [GIT PULL] xen: features and fixes for 4.5-rc0

On Tue, 2016-01-12 at 14:56 +0000, David Vrabel wrote:
> On 11/01/16 23:01, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > Hi David,
> >
> > On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 11:32:01 +0000 David Vrabel <dvrabel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Please git pull the following tag:
> > >
> > >  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/xen/tip.git
> > > for-linus-4.5-rc0-tag
> > >
> > > xen: features and fixes for 4.5-rc0
> > >
> > > - - Stolen ticks and PV wallclock support for arm/arm64.
> > > - - Add grant copy ioctl to gntdev device.
> >
> > So the version I have of this in linux-next has not been updated since
> > Dec 2 and is based on v4.4-rc1.  The version above is based on
> > v4.4-rc6 and has extra commits ... Did someone forget to update the
> > xen-tip/linux-next branch?
>
> Yes.
>
> Ideally I'd like the linux-next branch in ../xen/tip.git to be symbolic
> reference to the current for-linus-x.y branch so I do not have to
> remember to push to two different branches.  I can't see a way to do
> this though.

You're using tags for the pull request though, so do you need the for-linus-x.y
branch at all?

I've stopped using them, and instead just push to next and ask Linus to pull
a tag. That also avoids any possibility of the for-linus-x.y branch getting out
of sync with the for-linus-x.y tag.

cheers