Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] VirtFS support on Xen

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 11:12:01AM +0000, Paul Durrant wrote:
> [...]

Presumably you mean fixing VirtIO to work with Xen HVM guest.  Yes.
Stefano sent patches for fixing that. That involves changing some
assumptions in Virtio design. Not sure how it goes at the moment. As far
as I can tell those patches are not yet upstreamed or have been
superseded by some other patches promised to be written by someone else.

> b) Resurrecting the idea of emulator disaggregation so that we could
> spawn a QEMU that only serves as a VirtIO backend so that this can be
> used for PV/PHV guests?

I think disaggregation of emulators is a different and orthogonal issue.
(There is on-going work to spawn two QEMU for HVM guests, one for PV
backends, one for emulation.)

PV can't use existing Virtio transports because there is no emulation
for PV guest, unless we write Xen transport for Virtio. After
investigation I found it very hard to finish in a finite time frame  and
unsustainable in the long run.

PVH can possibly use VirtIO, but how it is going to be implemented is
unclear.  There are a few things to get hashed out before we can think
of VirtIO with PVH guests.  There is nothing that prevents we make
VirtIO work with PVH in the future though, once everything is in place.

Wei.