Re: [Xen-devel] [v3,11/41] mips: reuse asm-generic/barrier.h

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:52:07AM +0800, Boqun Feng wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 07:46:29AM -0800, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> > > This is crazy! smp_rmb started out being strictly stronger than
> > > smp_read_barrier_depends, when did this stop being the case?
> >
> > Hello, Herbert!
> >
> > It is true that most Linux kernel code relies only on the read-read
> > properties of dependencies, but the read-write properties are useful.
> > Admittedly relatively rarely, but useful.
> >
> > The better comparison for smp_read_barrier_depends(), especially in
> > its rcu_dereference*() form, is smp_load_acquire().
>
> Confused..
>
> I recall that last time you and Linus came into a conclusion that even
> on Alpha, a barrier for read->write with data dependency is unnecessary:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/2077661
>
> And in an earlier mail of that thread, Linus made his point that
> smp_read_barrier_depends() should only be used to order read->read.

Those examples involved read-to-write with conditionals, as in:

        if (READ_ONCE(a))
                WRITE_ONCE(b, 1);

Without the "if", no ordering is guaranteed on weakly ordered CPUs.
(The volatile accesses keep ordering within the compiler for once...

> So right now, are we going to extend the semantics of
> smp_read_barrier_depends()? Can we just make smp_read_barrier_depends()
> still only work for read->read, and assume all the architectures won't
> reorder read->write with data dependency, so that the code above having
> a smp_rmb() also works?

The semantics of smp_read_barrier_depends() has been both read-to-write
and read-to-read for some time now, this patch just catches the
documentation up with reality.

                                                        Thanx, Paul