Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC Design Doc] Add vNVDIMM support for Xen

>>> On 16.03.16 at 13:55, <haozhong.zhang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Jan and Konrad,
>
> On 03/04/16 15:30, Haozhong Zhang wrote:
>> Suddenly realize it's unnecessary to let QEMU get SPA ranges of NVDIMM
>> or files on NVDIMM. We can move that work to toolstack and pass SPA
>> ranges got by toolstack to qemu. In this way, no privileged operations
>> (mmap/mlock/...) are needed in QEMU and non-root QEMU should be able to
>> work even with vNVDIMM hotplug in future.
>>

> As I'm going to let toolstack to get NVDIMM SPA ranges. This can be
> done via dom0 kernel interface and xen hypercalls, and can be
> implemented in different ways. I'm wondering which of the following
> ones is preferred by xen.
>
> 1. Given
>     * a file descriptor of either a NVDIMM device or a file on NVDIMM, and
>     * domain id and guest MFN where vNVDIMM is going to be.
>    xen toolstack (1) gets it SPA ranges via dom0 kernel interface
>    (e.g. sysfs and ioctl FIEMAP), and (2) calls a hypercall to map
>    above SPA ranges to the given guest MFN of the given domain.
>
> 2. Or, given the same inputs, we may combine above two steps into a new
>    dom0 system call that (1) gets the SPA ranges, (2) calls xen
>    hypercall to map SPA ranges, and, one step further, (3) returns SPA
>    ranges to userspace (because QEMU needs these addresses to build ACPI).

DYM GPA here? Qemu should hardly have a need for SPA when
wanting to build ACPI tables for the guest.

> The first way does not need to modify dom0 linux kernel, while the
> second requires a new system call. I'm not sure whether xen toolstack
> as a userspace program is considered to be safe to pass the host physical
> address to hypervisor. If not, maybe the second one is better?

As long as the passing of physical addresses follows to model
of MMIO for passed through PCI devices, I don't think there's
problem with the tool stack bypassing the Dom0 kernel. So it
really all depends on how you make sure that the guest won't
get to see memory it has no permission to access.

Which reminds me: When considering a file on NVDIMM, how
are you making sure the mapping of the file to disk (i.e.
memory) blocks doesn't change while the guest has access
to it, e.g. due to some defragmentation going on? And
talking of fragmentation - how do you mean to track guest
permissions for an unbounded number of address ranges?

Jan