Re: [Xen-devel] [ovmf test] 87014: regressions - FAIL

On 03/23/2016 09:27 AM, osstest service owner wrote:
> flight 87014 ovmf real [real]
> http://logs.test-lab.xenproject.org/osstest/logs/87014/
>
> Regressions :-(
>
> Tests which did not succeed and are blocking,
> including tests which could not be run:
>  test-amd64-amd64-xl-qemuu-ovmf-amd64 9 debian-hvm-install fail REGR. vs.
> 65543
>  test-amd64-i386-xl-qemuu-ovmf-amd64  9 debian-hvm-install fail REGR. vs.
> 65543

I've been testing Anthony's series to 'Load BIOS via toolstack instead of been
embedded in hvmloader' [0] in an attempt to use the distro ovmf instead of
"ovmf-xen". openSUSE Factory's ovmf package [1] is updated regularly with an
upstream git snapshot and I noticed VMs did not boot when using it. I bisected
and found ovmf commit 7b0a1ead the culprit

commit 7b0a1ead7d2efa7f9eae4c2b254ff154d9c5f74f
Author: Ruiyu Ni <ruiyu.ni@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Wed Feb 17 18:06:36 2016 +0800

    MdeModuelPkg/PciBus: Return AddrTranslationOffset in GetBarAttributes

    Some platform doesn't use CPU(HOST)/Device 1:1 mapping for PCI Bus.
    But PCI IO doesn't have interface to tell caller (device driver)
    whether the address returned by GetBarAttributes() is HOST address
    or device address.
    UEFI Spec 2.6 addresses this issue by clarifying the address returned
    is HOST address and caller can use AddrTranslationOffset to calculate
    the device address.

I'm sure it's biting this test too.

BTW, any pointers on getting debug info from
hvmloader+ovmf+qemu+other-components-involved? With the broken ovmf, I got
nothing on the VM serial port, an empty, black vfb, nothing beyond "Invoking
OVMF..." in xl dmesg, and no errors in the qemu log file. Beyond bisecting, I
wasn't sure how to debug :-). I tried adding

device_model_args=[ "-debugcon file:debug.log", "-global
isa-debugcon.iobase=0x402"]

to the VM config, but qemu failed to start with "-debugcon file:debug.log:
invalid option"

Regards,
Jim

[0] http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-03/msg01626.html